From: Hazelwood, Susan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 2:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Habitat for Clay-colored Sparrows?

Those of you from the western part of the state seem to be seeing (or reporting) more Clay-colored Sparrows than before. Are they more common than they once were?

Should those of us in the middle of the state be finding them, too? (I know Paul McKenzie and Brad Jacobs have reported them as spring migrants in Boone County.)

What kind of habitat should I be looking in to find them? Any particular associations with certain types of plants that might be helpful ... even though we know that during migration species can and do show up anywhere.

TIA,
Susan
Susan Hazelwood
Columbia, Boone County, MO