We had state Envirothon competition yesterday, at Carver Farm associated with
Lincoln University in Jefferson City.  While our kids toiled away, we went on
field trips, and of course I went birding along the way.

Firsts of the year included:
Bobolink (on farm itself)
Baltimore Oriole (on Merten farm)
Dicksissel (few)
Great-crested Flycatcher
Sedge Wren (on farm itself)
Henslow's Sparrows (several)
Red-eyed Vireo (one)
Tennessee Warbler (many)

FIRST Monarch Butterfly!

Other notables:
Indigo Bunting (many)
Warbling Vireo (few)
Wood Ducks (in pairs) and
Scarlet Tanager (on Merten Farm)

Good to get the prairie/grassland birds, and upon my return home, my wife said
that the first Ruby-throated Hummer was back (late, but here).

Now, if I can only get back into my woods to see some warblers, and 'salvage' a
few morrels.

Good birding to all, and good luck with Spring Migration count.  First count in
three years I will miss.....

Of course after the kids finished, we hit Central Dairy for the 'rock-n-roll'
mix.  aaahhh....

Lynn Miller
Lone Jack,MO
Jackson CO