As Susan reported earlier, Alice Scheil reported tonight at the
Burroughs Audubon general meeting that she had re-found the
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks today at Squaw Creek (not seen since last
Saturday).

She reports them in the Davis Creek Moist Soil Unit #1, which is the
small pool of water at the NE corner of the auto tour route.  As you are
proceeding through the woods on the north side of the refuge, you come
to an opening with fields on both sides, you see the small pump house on
your right, and then you have a smaller pool of water on your right as
the road bends back to the south.  The pool of water (a couple of
hundred yards across) is MSU #1.

You can see a map of the refuge, including the location of this unit at
the following address:
http://www.squawcreek.org/sqc_map.html

MSU #1 is clearly marked...it's the polygonal shaped unit just INSIDE
the tour route at the NE corner, in the group labeled DAVIS CR MOIST
SOIL UNITS (1,2,3,4,5E,5W).

I'll be up there at first light (as I'm sure some others will be) and
I'll call back in a report for someone to post as soon as we have any
data (positive or negative).

If a few people want phone calls if the bird is re-found in the morning,
please send me a private reply and I'll put you on a list.  I know some
of you might not have access to MOBIRDS during the day, but will still
want to know whether to be headed for the loess bluffs later in the day.

Regards,

Ed McCullough
Kansas City, MO
Platte County