It is always fun to watch Ruby-throated Hummingbirds engage in "aerial
dogfights."  On Monday there were 3 males vying for dibs at my feeder.  One
chose not to enter the fray.  The other two engaged in some fierce fights
including a behavior I have never seen before.  Engaged, they would flutter
like a couple of leaves to the ground.  On the ground one would literally
hold the other down for several minutes.  My grass was a little long but I
could see one head above the grass and periodically bend down pecking at the
other.  They did this on three different occasions.  Has anyone observed
this behavior?

Ken Vail
Quincy, IL
Adams Co.