From: "McNeill, Roger D [CC]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 3:32 PM
Subject: Yellow-crowned Night heron or American Robin?

Friday night I was startled when I walked out my back door and saw an adult
Yellow-crowned Night-heron standing in the middle of my back lawn.  I
watched it for about 30 minutes hunting worms.  It would stalk through the
dandelions, pausing, slowly turning it's head, until whap! it would strike
the ground and pull out a long juicy night crawler.  I watched it
successfully pull four worms using this method.  I was sure that this was a
fluke and a bird which had stopped by on migration.

This morning, "he" was back again, and again hunting worms.  I live about a
mile from the Blue River, so it is possible they are nesting down there, but
more to my point...  Has anyone ever observed this behavior...Yellow-crowns
hunting worms?, especially in anti-habitat such as a lawn?

Roger D. McNeill

KC MO