One hour at Watkins Mill SP (Clay Co.) this morning yielded 51 species,
including 11 warbler species. Best birds were a PROTHONOTARY WARBLER and a
very probable Bullock's x Baltimore Oriole adult male hybrid.

The Prothonotary was seen on the south side of the park, near the
campgrounds, from the bike trail between the small pond and the lake. I had a
feeling the one I saw was a female (not as brilliantly colored). "She" flew
back into the first cove of the lake (if you're starting at the south camp
ground parking lot), and I later heard a male calling from that cove.

The Bullock's x Baltimore was also by that small pond. He was feeding low in
a tree overhanging the bike trail. The head was mostly black, but a good
amount of orange was showing through the hood giving the hood a mottled
appearance. The orange was particularly concentrated on the sides of the
neck. The patch on the median coverts was almost entirely white (as in a
Bullock's) but had a small amount of orange blending into it from the front
of the wing. It was singing short, clear, single notes -- a little shorter
than a Baltimore, but of the same clear quality as a Baltimore. This bird
looked very much like the hybrid pictured in Sibley.

Has there been any documented occurrance of this hybrid in western Missouri?

Other warblers seen this morning: Tennessee, Orange-crowned, Nashville, No.
Parula, Yellow, Yellow-rumped (still around in good numbers), Palm, B&W,
Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)