On Saturday, Heidi, Karsten and I spent part of the day birding Weston Bend,
Squaw Creek and Bob Brown.  Though we didn't see anything really cool (like
a Black-throated Blue Warbler at WBSP), we did see a pretty good
variety...finishing the day with 118 species.

Squaw Creek had 14 species of shorebirds, including 2 Willets, Stilt
Sandpiper, Dunlin, and Long-billed Dowitcher in Snow Goose pool.  The wind
had picked up pretty much in the afternoon and was keeping many birds
hunkered down.  The Willets were sort of squatting down facing into the wind
and we almost missed them.  One Northern Waterthrush was seen near the south
end of Eagle pool.

Weston Bend included great looks at Scarlet and Summer Tanagers, a
Great-crested Flycatchcer, Eastern Wood Pewee, 14 species of warblers and a
Grasshopper Sparrow.

A short stop a Lewis and Clark St. Park revealed that the Western Kingbirds
are back in force this week near the old playground and boat ramp.

Bob Brown CA included Virginia Rail, Sora and a Great-tailed Grackle.  The
water levels here are the highest in years, and most pools are more suited
for dabblers than shorebirds.

We had a Common Nighthawk while re-fueling at the end of the day in St.
Joseph (we also had one last night in KC).

Nothing unusual, but a good day birding early in May.

Regards,

Ed McCullough
Kansas City, MO
Platte County