I just completed a three-day (4/28-4/30), 1100-mile trip around the state of
Missouri, mostly concentrating on the southeastern corner. I ended the trip
with 148 species, 59 year birds, 7 life birds, and 3 state lifers. The
highlight was a SWAINSON'S WARBLER (seen and heard) at the Eleven Point
River.

Along the way, I visited Eagle Bluffs CA, Montauk SP, Mingo, Otter Slough,
and the Eleven Point River area. I was very impressed by the quality of
birding and the management of many of the wildlife areas in that corner of
the state.

It was a bit of a culture shock to go from Kansas City (when I left on Monday
not much was swinging up here) down to the Ozarks where migration is in full
bloom. I ended up with 24 warbler species. Also picked up the Black-necked
Stilts (how could you miss them?) at Otter Slough. I had no idea they were so
numerous down there. Short-billed Dowitchers were also in at Otter Slough.

If anyone is interested in a full trip list, let me know.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)