The first lark sparrow I ever saw was close to Kearney and I was so
surprised to see this beautiful bird. But in doing MO. Atlas work for 10
years, I learned that this bird is common in this area in the right habitat,
not abundant, but expected to be found. They like open areas of fields; I
just think of them as rural birds, rather than just prairie. The beautiful
song, and white tips in corners of tail when it flies will help you find
this "ground" bird.

(Marilyn Koshland wrote:
"I  JUST saw, at the edge of my yard,  in the street,  pecking at a worm,
a LARK SPARROW!   I couldn't and can't believe it!    I was ten feet
from the bird and the ID is certain.   This is a first for me.  Are they
common (have never seen one before)  and why was it here?  Aren't they
prairie birds.... ")