I just got back from REDA on my lunch break. Peeps were everywhere, but the
most notable thing is the Wilson's Phalaropes are so close in on the mud
near the observation tower at the end of Riverlands Way that I could get
great views with just my binoculars and I even took a shot with my camera.
The photo will probably be identifiable, but too far away to be very good.
Anyone that can digiscope or who has a 1000mm lens or better would get great
shots. My 300mm with a 2x teleconverter only gets me to 600mm. Also in the
bay were Caspian's terns and Franklin's gulls. I again could not find black
terns. They would be a lifer for me. There was a gull in the bay close in
that I was wondering about, being that I am still terrible with gull
identification. It was an overall dirty vanilla color and had a black ring
on its bill and a short black line that came back from its eye. Everything
that looked close in my field guides was for gulls in winter plummage.

Shawn Clubb, Collinsville, Madison Co., IL