I was way too busy to go birding this morning, but I about wrecked my truck
when I was driving back to Collinsville from downtown St. Louis after
dropping my wife off at work. I was on Interstate 55/70 about 1/2 mile west
of the Route 111 exit when I spotted a Virginia rail, a lifer for me,
actually standing on a reed in the marsh to the side of the road. I stopped
and got a good look before it was gone. I didn't have enough time to pull
out my camera before it left (I was nervous enough being on the side of the
interstate with semis wizzing by at 70 mph), plus the police were out and I
am still on court supervision for speeding (37 mph in a 30) in St. Clair
County. It is illegal to back up on the shoulder of the interstate, right?
I've been scanning that marsh all spring and it finally paid off. I didn't
expect one to be on a stalk though. I thought they didn't usually do that.

After my busy morning agenda was over, I dropped by at REDA and got a brief
look at a sedge wren.

Shawn Clubb, Collinsville, Madison Co., IL