After six consecutive days of pretty heavy birding, I finally got around to
painting my house, which is why I took a week of vacation anyway. On a brief
break I saw the first ruby-throated hummingbird that I have seen on my
feeder this year. There have probably been some already, but I've been
everywhere but home. Later I caught a glimpse out of my eye of a medium
sized dark bird landing on my feeders. I immediately thought it was a
starling and I was about to shoo it, when I looked and saw it was a catbird
eating jelly from my oriole feeder. That's the first catbird I've ever seen
in my yard. I still haven't seen any orioles here yet.

I tried for my seventh consecutive day of life birds this morning when I
briefly stopped by the Sauget marsh off Moussette Ave. I was hoping to get a
rail. No luck. I did see one sora though.

Starting Saturday, I had the following lifers:
Saturday, Carlyle, Ill. - eurasian collared dove
Sunday, Castlewood Sp, Chubb Trail - Henslow's sparrow
Monday, Horseshoe Lake, Ill. - yellow-headed blackbird, cinnamon teal
Tuesday, Ten Mile Pong, Mississippi Co., Mo. - tri-colored heron
Wednesday, Eagle Bluffs CA, Mo. - Wilson's Phalarope, common moorhen,
great-tailed grackle
Thursday, Lincoln Sheilds, West Alton, Mo. - black-bellied plover

What a week.

Shawn Clubb, Collinsville, Madison Co., Ill.