Dear Pietros, This was written in a review; I believe 'The Beating of a Drum', 1923, C146; I shall have to check for you and can find you the quotation if you like. So far as I know, this is the only time Eliot mentioned Stein (someone can correct me here; perhaps her name comes up in OPP?); he mentions her rhythm as being hypnotising, but perhaps the rhythm of the future (and therefore about that future being of the barbarians). Let me know if you would like the exact quotation and a reference. Yours, Jennifer On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 07:51 PM, Pietros Maneos wrote: ArialIn a message dated 5/20/2003 3:46:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes: Gertrude Stein (around 1920), be the future of the barbarians What did Eliot think of Stein?  Where did he state his opinion of her? Essay? Conversation? Letter?