In a message dated 5/13/03 9:19:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

I seldom draw inferences from good old Matt.
Somehow I lost track of his long withdrawing roar,
as it faded out of the scope of my hearing.
He was however a major concern for Eliot, so I am
wondering why you think I would be drawing such an
inference, and I am even wondering what inference
you think I am drawing.

Vishvesh wrote:

Are you making any inference to Mathew Arnold ? If so,
I would be interested to know in what context you are
making it.

Dear Peter,
    I'm guessing the Matthew Arnold question is in response to your use of "touchstone."
Marcia