In a message dated 5/12/03 2:17:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I posted a few days ago with some silly musings on Prufrock that were mostly
> the result of an idle week spent nursing a hand fresh from surgery.  You
> see, I had printed Prufrock out and brought it with me to the hospital on
> my day of surgery, reasoning that it would be easier to deal with a few
> sheets of paper rather than lugging along a book.  As it happened, I was
> more or less talked into doing the surgery with local anasthetic.  This was
> a grave mistake on my part, but it allowed for me to be fully awake on the
> operating table whilst the surgery proceeded behind a curtain.  With my
> free hand, I continued to read through Prufrock chuckling at the irony of
> those too-famous first lines, trying to say calm while all sorts of ungodly
> noises and proclamations came from the vicinity of my now numbed limb.
>
> At some point, the nurse who would ordinarily have been the anesthesiologist
> ’s assistant, but instead sat idly watching my heart rate and blood
> pressure became curious and asked me if I was reading a letter.  I replied
> that I was reading poetry, and ended up reciting a bit of the poem to her.
> She loved it.  I returned later in the week and left a collection with a
> nice note.
>
>  So who says that nurses and Eliot don’t meet in the course of day to day
> work?

Even when the hospital is for animals.

A few years ago, my cat was hospitalized and near her was a dog named Marina.
 I was preparing a presentation on Eliot's poem and attached a copy of it on
the cage.  Her owners hadn't known the poem and were very pleased to have it.

Marcia