Why don't you start an offshoot list, say about Captain Ahab or, even more appropriately, Captain Hornblower, RN?

Jacek Niecko
Washington DC

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Peter Montgomery
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: current babarities (was re:Gertrude Stein, T.S. Eliot)

I wonder where Sweeney fits in all this barbarity?
And f he does, I wonder if he also is a manifestation
"in which we ought not to be interested."
How do those lines go about a lenghtened shadow,
Emerson and Sweeney?

Anyone noticed a certain hypnotic quality in
some of the verse of SWEENEY AGONISTES?

As for denigration .... my goodness.. and I am getting teased about
generalisations! So far as I know, I have criticised the snobbery of
academia for holding its nose up at mod tech, instead of engaging
it and trying to influence it in good, new, creative directions. Who,
for heaven's sake would be denigrating scholarship &c in the age
of the internet? Sorry Jennifer, but that particular barbarian vine
doesn't swing for me. If you want to catch me, you'll have to swing
on another. Could it be that you are committing the barbarity of
letting your feelings take over your thinking? In my experience
many in the academy DO feel threatened by mod.tech., perhaps
with good reason.

Petrus.