Why don't you start an offshoot list, say about Captain Ahab or, even more appropriately, Captain Hornblower, RN?

Jacek Niecko
Washington DC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Peter Montgomery
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 9:53 PM
  Subject: Re: current babarities (was re:Gertrude Stein, T.S. Eliot)

  I wonder where Sweeney fits in all this barbarity?
  And f he does, I wonder if he also is a manifestation
  "in which we ought not to be interested."
  How do those lines go about a lenghtened shadow,
  Emerson and Sweeney?

  Anyone noticed a certain hypnotic quality in
  some of the verse of SWEENEY AGONISTES?

  As for denigration .... my goodness.. and I am getting teased about
  generalisations! So far as I know, I have criticised the snobbery of
  academia for holding its nose up at mod tech, instead of engaging
  it and trying to influence it in good, new, creative directions. Who,
  for heaven's sake would be denigrating scholarship &c in the age
  of the internet? Sorry Jennifer, but that particular barbarian vine
  doesn't swing for me. If you want to catch me, you'll have to swing
  on another. Could it be that you are committing the barbarity of
  letting your feelings take over your thinking? In my experience
  many in the academy DO feel threatened by mod.tech., perhaps
  with good reason.

  Petrus.