From: Vishvesh Obla [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2003 7:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: An amateur Eliot enthusiast's wild musing

"I read in a New Yorker article (by Louis Menand) last
fall that a group of scholars -- on somewhat thin
evidence -- believe that Eliot was gay and had a lover
while in Paris: Jean Verdenal..."

------------

'Eliot was gay; shakespheare was gay; Henry James was
impotent; Lawrence suffered from Oedipus complex' :
when I read academic discussions of great writers, I
feel totally at a loss when someone drags in a
personal issue as the above even when they could be
real.  I remember Eliot himself quoting somewhere on
some earlier critics of Shakepheare that they were
much closer to his dramatic art than much of the later
critics since they could focus at the essential spirit
of his works without getting entangled in the
'academism' which seems to be the malady of the modern
mind.

I would appreciate if anyone here attempts to look at
a poem for what it is and not for the innumerable
details which, I feel, make a poem anything but a
poem.

Vishvesh

"Trust the tale, not the artist..."
-D.H.Lawrence