The terms as I am familiar with them are:
CLICHÉ = the metal slug with a one column width of print on it in positive
         When I was familiar with its prduction, it was made by a typesetter
         typing on a keyboard attached to a huge metal molding machine,
         called, I believe, a line-o-type. The name, I recall, is derived
         from the sound made by the slugs as they clink together.

STEREOTYPE = the monomould or styroform poured over the form containing
             the assembled type. It is the negative.

In the early days of print, type was, as Marcia said, precious, and the
setting
aside of letters would not have been useful. In fact for that very reason
many spelling variants occurred, such as substituting a Y when an I was
needed.

Given the fluidity of media these days, it is quite conceivable
that meanings have merged, melded, crossed over, inverted, &c.

I recommed McLuhan's Governal General's Award winning THE GUTENBERG GALAXY
pp. 272-291 for a well documented discussion of the effects of print
on language, esp the effect of fixation and standardisation. One of his
sources is L'APPARITION DU LIVRE by Febvre and Martin which has a chapter
"Printing and Languages" that discusses the fixation of languages.

I hope that sterilises the matter linearly enough to the level
of what Othello called ocular proof or evidence, so easily bought into
by the typographic mind.

Peter