am 22.5.03 03:19 Uhr schrieb Marcia Karp unter [log in to unmask]:

> Peter, I'd like to hear from you what a cliche is.  I can find it only
> as a French term for stereotype.  Please say more.

Dear Marcia,

Peter is right: A cliché has a double meaning. It is not only a hackneyed
phrase or expression.

In pre-computer printing so-called metal clichés, thin galvanized metal
plate negatives, were used to print images. The white areas of the image
were etched out by acid. It was a stereotype in the literal sense of the
word.

Strange how such things are forgotten and go the way of the telex and the
telegram...

Cheers,

Gunnar