Dear Peter,

Unfortunately, I cannot agree that 'it's really simple', as you say.
Where in the play does Hamlet explicitly say he thought Polonius was
Claudius when he puts his dagger through the arras? Immediately he
asks: 'Is it the King'? And a few lines on he remarks to the body of
Polonius: 'I took thee for thy better'. That is fairly ambiguous. And
there are many such ambiguous points in the play (such as the question
of whether Hamlet knows or not he is being spied upon during the 'To be
or not to be' speech and his subsequent interview with Ophelia).

If you have evidence to the contrary, I should like to see it.

As for the jazz point, I still haven't a clue what you mean; but call
it a prick if you will.

Jennifer