Frances Rushworth wrote:

> Male surgeons are 'Mr' again.  The title arrives with membership of the
> Royal College of Surgeons or the Royal College of Obstetricians and
> Gynaecologists.  Getting membership involves having a present member propose
> you, accredited work experience, a dissertation and passing exams and
> assessments.  All of this, to be a Miss!

I had a professor who only reluctantly put up being called
Doctor Proctor.  He said it made him think of "plastered bastard."
In Germany he didn't mind it so much because the Germans always
added every honorific that you were entitled too and his full
title, Herr Professor Doctor Proctor, didn't sound so bad.

Regards,
    Rick Parker