Dear Peter,

I hesitate to respond. Please do not assume that I am in any way hurt
by what you say. I am not. My remarks were quite far from wildly
prejudicial; I, at least, offer some evidence for my claims, a duty
Williamson noticeably shirks.

However, I am not writing to defend my own honour; but rather that of
those first-year students which it seems to me, by offering them
something like Williamson, and on the other hand treating Eliot as
though he would be incomprehensible to them, I believe you do a great
disservice to (not unlike Williamson's own attitude). What is wrong,
exactly, with requiring that your students (whatever year) _are_ or
become familiar first and foremost with the poems? Is that not what
teaching is about ? Why pander to a lack of knowledge?

And if you plead such a lack in defense of teaching with Williamson by
your side, then I am not sure assigning a volume of commentary is at
all appropriate. Such books are only useful to scholars, not beginners.
The whole things is rather out of spirit with Eliot's notions that one
ought to approach the poetry directly, and other sources only later,
when stimulated and fortified by familiarity and curiosity.

Yours, Jennifer