Dear Rick,

Please excuse my slow reply. No, Williamson, not Mattheissen.
Matthiesson wrote rather a good book on Eliot in the 30's (he killed
himself just short of 20 years later, I believe, because he was hunted
down by McCarthy as a Communist). He knew Eliot whilst Eliot lectured
at Harvard in 1932-3, and therefore his notes, gleaned many of them
from conversations with TSE, are excellent; they are voluminous and far
and away the best part of his book.

Williamson's book is commentary; not criticism (or that's how he
presents it, anyhow, but it's rather not the case). It's far below
Southam and rather rudely and tritely presented, I think. It
condescends to students and everyone else by maintaining the pretense
that his remarks are what the poem is telling you. But they are not.
And it lacks a lot of intelligence in both style and method.

By the way, Mattheissen's book is called 'The Achievement of T.S.
Eliot', if you weren't sure. And it's certainly worth looking up.

Yours, Jennifer