Date sent:              Tue, 20 May 2003 14:16:48 -0400
From:                   [log in to unmask]
Subject:                Spelling checkers (was: Barbarians at the Gates)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

In a message dated 5/20/2003 10:22:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Spell checkers cannot, which is why they are
> such an annoyance.  They only know if a
> word is a word and sometimes not even that.
> They split compound words, reject names,
> and change words to what they recognize--
> one changed my word "clitoridectomy"
> to "coldheartedness."  An amusing
> slip but really not what I needed to write.

My favorite spelling checker horror story actually happened to me. I had
just formed a new company with several people, and the partners didn't
really know (or fully trust) each other. I had written a long letter to the CEO
of the company, a man by the name of Fred Jacobs. Since I'm a terrible
speller, I tended to blindly hit accept for all the changes recommended by
the spelling checker. It's a good thing I decided to proofread the letter one
final time, because I was about to send a letter to the CEO (and to all the
partners) addressed to Fraud Jackass.

-- Steve --