From: Vishvesh Obla

It is difficult for me to call someone by his first
name after I know him as a teacher.
======================================
Dear Vishvesh,
  I understand the cultural reluctance. I have
experienced it off and on. It wouldn't bother
me, if I didn't seem to be the only one whom
you address that way, especially when there are
full professors on the list.
  I was once engaged as a visiting prof. at a
college in Pennsylvania. Some people would say
that gives me the right to use the title.
Frankly such titles in a democracy seem pretentious.
It is a particularly Canadian attitude.
  I experiment with language unabashedly in this
conversational medium. It needs to find its
own dimensions.

Cheers,
Peter.

 For, I come from
a country where calling one by first name shows lack
of respect and where teachers are objects of the kind
of reverence that one ought to show towards one's
parents.  Though I have been here in North America for
more than five years, I find it difficult to get out
of that habit (not the reverence part, but calling a
teacher by his first name).  I understand that it
could be kind of embarrassing to you in this informal
list and I will take the effort of calling you by your
first name henceforth.

Yes, as Marcia made a note of, I got curious by your
usage of 'touchstone'.  I must admit that I cannot
comprehend many of your postings and I was wondering
if you had made an inference to Mathew Arnold in that
particular posting, because of the subject being
discussed.  I believe that Mathew Arnold, in spite of
whatever views that Eliot held about him, was one of
his mentors in critical thought.  In the essay (The
function of Criticism, if I remember it right) in
which Arnold talks of the 'touchstone', he talks of
the common fallacies associated with understanding a
poem.  He talks of historic and personal fallacies;
under personal fallacies, he makes it clear how a few
related personal details can stand in our way of
understanding a poem.  So, there you go !

vishvesh