From: William Gray
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 5/12/03 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: An amateur Eliot enthusiast's wild musing

Rita,
    Nancy's right on here. Prufrock-Littau (if my memory serves me) was
the name of a furniture store in St. Louis where Eliot grew up. The
connotations of Prufrock's names are also significant: Alfred, like the
heroic king -- also a very English name and rather old; Prufrock, which
combines something like 'prude' and 'frock', definitely a recent name,
and not English. These two names alone form a paradox. In addition, the
title as a whole rings paradoxically -- the love song of who? Not some
Romantic name, but rather the very business-card-like "J. Alfred
Prufrock." Pretty sanitary.

The poem has been interpreted various ways, as a critique of early 20th
century society (the women come and go, talking of Michelangelo) or of
modern man (Prufrock himself as an impotent man -- in many ways), etc.
Personally I read the poem as a collection of many of these
interpretations (Eliot was rather profound, you know!) as well as an
autobiographical account from a young Eliot in the mouth of Prufrock,
trying to decide whether to become a poet or not. Will he get
inspiration? Should he keep up with the fads or be true to his own sense
of what is important? What if no one cares, even if he said something
stunningly new? The 'you' and 'I', then, would be Eliot talking to
himself, perhaps something very much like the difference between "the
man who suffers and the mind which creates" (from "Tradition and the
Individual Talent").

Just some thoughts. Hope things go well for your class this evening. You
are privileged to be in the shrinking number of those who love learning.

Will Gray

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/12/03 12:19PM >>>
There was a business sign in St. Louis with the name "Prufrock" on it,
and
the name has been attributed to that.  Eliot also said he chose it just
because of the sound.  He said various things at various times.
Nancy