From: Dave Martin
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 5/11/03 11:04 PM
Subject: Re: An amateur Eliot enthusiast's wild musing

OK.  This thread of conversation represents just a little too much
coincidence for me to resist...

I posted a few days ago with some silly musings on Prufrock that were
mostly the result of an idle week spent nursing a hand fresh from
surgery.  You see, I had printed Prufrock out and brought it with me to
the hospital on my day of surgery, reasoning that it would be easier to
deal with a few sheets of paper rather than lugging along a book.  As it
happened, I was more or less talked into doing the surgery with local
anasthetic.  This was a grave mistake on my part, but it allowed for me
to be fully awake on the operating table whilst the surgery proceeded
behind a curtain.  With my free hand, I continued to read through
Prufrock chuckling at the irony of those too-famous first lines, trying
to say calm while all sorts of ungodly noises and proclamations came
from the vicinity of my now numbed limb.

At some point, the nurse who would ordinarily have been the
anesthesiologist's assistant, but instead sat idly watching my heart
rate and blood pressure became curious and asked me if I was reading a
letter.  I replied that I was reading poetry, and ended up reciting a
bit of the poem to her.  She loved it.  I returned later in the week and
left a collection with a nice note.

So who says that nurses and Eliot don't meet in the course of day to day
work?