Hi Rick,
  It seems to me that your question had to do with
the mix or ratio of commentary to information.
It seems to me that Williamson got the mix about
right, esp. for a beginner. YOUR intended audience
may be different. As for Jennifer's wildly prejudicial
remarks as to the quality of Williamson's work, well,
they leave me smiling, but I don't think they are
pertinent to what you are trying to accomplish.

Some people have absolutely no concept of what it's
like for 1st year students, esp. when confronted
with strange beasties like Eliot. Williamson is/was
not one of those people.

As for the oh so sad case of F.O. Matthieson, I have never
heard anything but very high praise for his work, and I have
always found that work most illuminating, but I'm
not so sure he had the right information/commentary mix
for porpoises such as yours. I think he was assuming his
reader was much more familiar with the work than Williamson
did.

Perhaps if we are to be helpful to you, you might define
the task a little more fully. That might also help us
carry on in our wildly prejudical ways in a different thread
altogether, and not be such a nuisance to your excellent
project.

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery