From: Nancy Gish [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 6:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: History's cunning passages

I think many images in "Gerontion" are evoked by responses to Versailles
and to the idea that it made things worse and would create chaos.
Nancy

Date sent:              Thu, 1 May 2003 10:06:41 -0400
From:                   Marcia Karp <[log in to unmask]>
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Nancy Gish wrote:

>I think, however, that it matters that he changed "nature"
>to "history" at the time he did (sometime between the summer of 1919 when
>the first draft was written and 1920 when the poem was first published).
>He was working on the war reparations and reading about the treaty of
>Versailles.

Dear Nancy,
    "Matters" how and to what?  History came to Eliot's mind?  Readers are
being pointed to Versailles?  Matters to an account of re-writing?
 Other?

Marcia