On Saturday, I took three students out and had a wonderful day!!  We totaled 64 species and had several enjoyable observations.

The students favorite was a barred owl that I called up right next to the road.  As you will see we viewed some much "better" species but this common owl was the best for them.  It kind of reminds us how we get "a little" desensitized toward the more common birds.

I particularly enjoyed the 50 -75 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS calling in tree.  Also the GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE singing his heart out while we scoped GREATER SCAUP (2 males & 2 females) on Wil Mar's Lake.

The students also were very excited when they saw their very first YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER with the sun shining on it.  It simply glowed for them!!

We had 2 GREAT EGRETS  on Smithville lake dam. Other Comal birds were PURPLE MARTINS, BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, and yes......finally........we heard a N.BOBWHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Sunday morning, I took my twin boys (15) on the youth Turkey hunt.  The turkeys won as we watched for a couple of hours 3 big toms, 1 jake, and 13 hens on a pasture ridge that was unapproachable.  I am also not a bad turkey caller but that was way too much competition!!!  I did pick up three other Comal birds that day: WOOD DUCK pair nesting in a timbered area of the pasture, E.TOWHEE, and one WINTER WREN.

All in all it was a great weekend!!!  Hope everyone else is enjoying it too!!!

Terry L. Miller
Kearney HS
Clay Co. MO

 P.S. Mike Niles went up to Dunn ranch to view Prairie Chickens Sun. morning and brought back about 2 hours of great video of all the courtship.