2 Swainson's Hawks
116 Am Golden Plovers
20+ Brewers Blackbirds
300 D C Cormorants
400 Pectorals
3 White-faced Ibis
Orange-crowned warbler
Yellow-rumped warbler
White-throated, Harris, Lincoln's, Swamp, Field, Savannah, Chipping Sparrows

Today:
3 Swainson's Hawks
8 Black-crowned Night Herons
16 Yellow-headed Blackbirds
Orange-crowned warblers and Yellow-rumps
Sedge Wrens
American Bittern
An unbelievable observation in the woods of a "shock and awe" kind of birding:
   I walked past a very large Cooper's Hawk which was undaunted by my presence.  That was really nice.  After returning to my car, I saw the Cooper's hawk strike a female Wood Duck in a tree.  They fell to the ground.  The hawk pressed its' talons into the duck repeatedly.  The Cooper's then took flight carrying the duck but soon dropped it.  After all, which weighs more?  They looked about the same size except for the tail on the hawk.  The Wood Duck looked mortally wounded lying on the ground dazed and breathing through her open mouth.  The Cooper's went back to the duck to finish her BIG breakfast.  I had seen enough, so I left the scene.

Tommie Rogers
Mound City

Tommie Rogers