In spite of the windy conditions up here in northwest Missouri the birding was not too bad.

Bluff Woods CA
    Barred Owl swooped in front of my Jeep as I was entering Bluff Woods area.  It landed in the ditch beside the road.  I don't know if he/she caught his/her prey item or not.
    Wild Turkey - several were really vocalizing this morning
    Eastern Towhee - several
    Wood Duck - a pair
    Louisiana Waterthrush - I watched a couple feeding along the little rivulet that runs through the area.
    Carolina Wren - several
    Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - several
    Eastern Phoebe
    Yellow-rumped Warbler - 10
    Chipping sparrow
    Savannah Sparrow
    Ruby-crowned Kinglet
    White-throated Sparrow - 4
    Field Sparrow - 2
    Killdeer - 1
    Eastern Bluebird - a pair
    BROAD-WINGED HAWK - sat patiently in a tree right beside the road and allowed a very close approach (in my vehicle) @ 20 feet! (my first of the year)

Horseshoe Lake (St.Joseph)
    Barn Swallow - 5
    Tree Swallow - 5
    Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Ruddy Duck
    American Golden Plover - 25
    SEMIPALMATED PLOVER - 1 (my first of the year)
    Killdeer - 25
    Greater Yellowlegs - 30
    Lesser Yellowlegs - 10
    Pectoral Sandpiper - 75
    Baird's Sandpiper - 50
    Semipalmated Sandpiper - 5
    Wilson's Phalarope - 1
    Ring-billed Gull - 1

Muskrat Lake area
    Swainson's Hawk - 2
    American White Pelican - 50
    Western Meadowlark - 2
    Loggerhead Shrike - 2 (+1 in Lake Contrary area)
    Double-crested Cormorant - 30

Lake Contrary area
    American Kestrel - 1
    Purple Martin - 5
    Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 2
    Wilson's Snipe - 10
    Snow Goose - 6
    Ring-necked Pheasant - a pair
    Gadwall - 5

This afternoon flying over our yard in St.Joseph
    CHIMNEY SWIFT - 5 (my first of the year), they are like the swallows of Capistrano, they tend to come back to St.Joseph almost the same day every year.  They come in and the juncos leave.  Well, not quite, we still have one Dark-eyed Junco coming into our yard!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan Co.