As I was leaving St. Francois State Park in St. Francois County about 1:00 p.m. today, my car was stopped at a "safety" checkpoint at the entrance gate that all cars had to pass through before they could exit the park and get onto U.S. 67.

The checkpoint was manned by Missouri State Highway Patrol officers and park rangers. After I was asked how I had enjoyed my day at the park (the WGNSS Botany Walk was fabulous, by the way), I was told I needed to produce a drivers license and insurance card.  I did so, but I asked what would have happened if I had not had those documents with me.  I was told that I would have gotten a ticket.

So, make sure you have these documents with you.  Has anyone been stopped in a similar manner on other state or public property?

Yvonne Homeyer
St. Louis