There were 28 American Avocet at Smithville Lake this Afternoon/evening(4/18).  They were in the small cove by the swimming beach at Camp Branch marina.  They would occasionally fly to the end of the cove with all the ring-bills and then fly back after about 15min.

I was able to lay about 20 feet away and photograph the group for several hours (6 rolls).  Mostly full framed shots of individual birds at 600mm.  Very exciting to say the least.  And think, I was just running up there for a few minutes after work.

Chris Valentine
Liberty, Mo
Clay Co.