The Audubon Society of Missouri is pleased to announce that this
afternoon in Jefferson City, Governor Bob Holden signed a proclamation
declaring the second Saturday in May to be BIRD CONSERVATION DAY in
Missouri.  The text of the Governor's Proclamation follows below.  We are
very pleased that Governor Holden is assisting in increasing the
awareness of the importance of bird conservation.
Sue Gustafson
Vice President, Audubon Soc of Mo
(for Jerry Wade, President, and the ASM Board of Directors)

                                Office of the Governor
                                    State of Missouri
                                   PROCLAMATION

WHEREAS, Missouriís citizens believe conserving our stateís natural
environment is one of the most important concerns for current and future
generations; and

WHEREAS, according to the Audubon Society of Missouri, 402 species of
birds have been recorded in Missouri; and 167 species are listed in the
Missouri Breeding Bird Atlas  as confirmed or likely to breed in
Missouri; and

WHEREAS, bird watching is one of the fastest growing recreational
activities in the United States; and nearly 1.3 million Missouri
residents participate in bird watching; and 8 out of 10 Missourians feed
birds and wildlife at their homes; and

WHEREAS, within Missouri, wildlife-watchers spend $444.1 million,
generate $997.7 million in total business-generated activity, support
13,110 jobs and create $21.4 million in sales tax revenue; and

WHEREAS, more than 50 organizations, representing a diverse array of
Missouri's governmental, business, industry, and nonprofit interests,
have established a partnership called the Missouri Bird Conservation
Initiative in order to deliver the full spectrum of bird conservation;
and

WHEREAS, the second Saturday in May has been established as an
international celebration of birds and bird conservation:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BOB HOLDEN, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, do
hereby proclaim the second Saturday in May to be:

BIRD CONSERVATION DAY

in Missouri.

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be
affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of
Jefferson, on this 10th day of May, 2003.

                                                Governor

                                        Attest:

                                                Secretary of State

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!