Aint Spring Fun ?!?!?!

Birded around the bootheel from Charleston to East Prairie to New Madrid
today and totaled 69 species, including several year-birds, and 2 great new
state-birds.  There is a lot of water at 10 Mile Pond, but the Richard T.
Reed unit had some nice shorebird habitat

BIRD OF THE DAY by far was my first state-bird of the day,  the ANHINGA seen
soaring over the "mote" around the lake at Big Oak Tree State Park.  Trying
hard not to be outdone was my state-first BLUE GROSBEAK seen on the levee
trail around the same lake. BLACK-NECKED STILT (4 birds) were a nice
addition to my 2003 COMAL list at 10 MILE POND.

.  Species seen, in the order they were added to the trip-list, follows....

MY HOUSE IN SIKESTON
American Robin
Mourning Dove
White-throated Sparrow
Common Grackle
Eastern Meadowlark
Northern Cardinal
House Sparrow
European Starling
Northern Mockingbird
Red-winged Blackbird

TEN MILE POND
Killdeer
Blue-winged Teal
Savannah Sparrow
Lesser Yellowlegs
Greater Yellowlegs
Cliff Swallow
Wilson's Snipe (2 birds)
Great Blue Heron
Pectoral Sandpiper
American Coot
Solitairy Sandpiper (3 birds)
Northern Shoveler
Black-necked Stilt (4 birds)
Gadwall
Dowitcher spp. (30-40 birds, probably Long-billed?)
Least Sandpiper (at least 4 birds)
Common Crow

BIG OAK TREE STATE PARK
Eastern Kingbird
Horned Lark
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Carolina Wren
Parula Warbler
White-eyed Vireo
Gray Catbird
Barred Owl
Brown-headed Cowbird
Tufted Titmouse
Prothonotary Warbler
Empidonax  Flycatcher (I hate these birds!)
Wood Duck
Northern Flicker
Great-crested Flycatcher
Ruby-crowned Kinglet