 Now that others are sharing their recommendations with the whole list, I
might as well do so, too. (I replied off line recommending Lost Maples S.P.
and Kerr W.M.A. My off-line post  also mentioned that both species are found
around Austin in locations mentioned on its hot line, but I have the
impression they are in smaller numbers there and perhaps more difficult to
find.

I saw both species at Kerr Management Area with assistance from a local
birder and a member of the staff there. (Texas is a very birder-friendly
state, and I have found staff  at a number of Texas refuges eager to assist
birders). Golden-cheeked Warbler was easy, but Black-capped Vireo was very
difficult. The vireos breed in  what I think is some sort of bush-high scrub
oak -- really quite low in height -- which grows  in island-like clumps
surrounded by grassland.  The local birder introduced me to a biologist  at
Kerr, who had been studying Black-capped Vireos for three summers. He left
his desk and found a singing male for me. It took him a while to hear one,
then more time to locate it. The bird was moving around very rapidly. I got
a very good look at him for just a moment before he moved on.  I doubt that
I would have seen him without the biologist's assistance.

Golden-cheeked Warblers breed in juniper bushes, which  are abundant all
over the "hill country."  It will be helpful to have someone point out at
least the general location where they are hanging out, because they are
somewhat local. In my case, a staff member at Kerr recommended a place
accessed from the highway that leads to the Management Area, and we found
several there quite easily.

April is probably the best month to look for the warbler and the vireo. Most
of my friends, who have seen them went to Lost Maples to find them. Several
reported seeing only the warbler but missing the vireo later in the season.

If you belong to the American Birding Association, take advantage of their
Member Directory and at least get some advance guidance by calling a member
in the area to which you choose to go. (I got all sorts of help from a
wonderful septuagenarian lady in Kerrville, to whom I was referred by the
A.B.A. member I called in that town). The A.B.A. directory has a code that
indicates which members welcome inquiries from visiting birders. Using the
A.B.A. Directory, I have been guided by wonderful people all over the U.S.
(I am also listed in the Directory as one who welcomes inquiries and have
reciprocated by guiding quite a few visitors around here).

If you use the A.B.A. directory, call well in advance of your visit, if
possible.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri