Hi all,

A number of winged critters have been making their way back to the
Hillsboro area in Jefferson Co.  My wife and I had the pleasure of adding a
few new species to the "yard list" (this is our first spring here).  Over
the Easter weekend we added Green Heron, Blue-winged Warbler, Summer
Tanager, and Yellow Warbler.

The blue-winged in particular was interesting because it has been using an
atypical song.  My first attempt at describing it was a cross between a
pine warbler and a gold-winged warbler.  The song started with a pine-like
very musical trill...about six notes...then dropped slightly to a two note
buzzz buzzzz.  The buzzy notes were high pitched, though, like the end of a
golden-winged song.  Every blue-winged I've heard in the past did a
traditional beeee buzzzzz, but not this guy.  I got real good looks at him,
so I'm certain on ID, and I didn't see any marking which would suggest a
hybrid.

Has anybody out there heard a similar song from a blue-winged warbler?

Also, our Bewick's Wrens seem to be doing well.  They stuffed all nearby
nest boxes and seem to have settled into one quite happily.  Just in time,
too, because we heard our first House Wren of the spring in Hillsboro on
Saturday.

Cheers,
Tom Mills
Hillsboro, Jefferson Co.