Thursday, April 17, I took my Ornithology class to Mantz Conservation Area
between Millersville and Daisy in Cape Girardeau Co. We were near the
southeast corner of the area, near an old barn, when I swore I heard a
HENSLOW'S SPARROW. One of the students who was familiar with the species
also heard it. Sure enough, there were at least 2 in an orchardgrass field
in back of the barn! This is the first time I have ever seen and heard this
species near Cape Girardeau! Later, we check a native grass planting on the
opposite hillside, above a small lake. There were at least 3 more in that
field. We did not have time to check other possible sites on the area, but
there are other native grass plantings.

We also had one VIRGINIA RAIL that flushed in an atypical site at the edge
of the orchardgrass field. Sorry about the delay--I immediately left town
Thursday afternoon and just got back.

To get to the site: From Highway 72, turn onto B Highway at Millersville.
Then, turn onto BB Highway (sign for Old Salem Methodist Church). Turn
right onto county road 471 in about 1.5 miles. Continue on this gravel road
for about 2 miles, to the SECOND parking lot for the Conservation Area
(just across a small creek). Park and walk up the hill to the barn and fields.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau