Dave Rogles and I birded the Carlyle Lake, Illinois, area today.  We started at parking
lot # 3, at the north end of the lake, where winter was still holding out:
man, it was cold!  There was a paucity of hawks today, and beside the eight
kestrels and one eagle, we saw only one Red-Tailed Hawk.  We tallied a total
of 72 species overall, including 11 species of duck.

Highlights included...

0001  Common Loon
0250  American White Pelican
0015  Snow Goose
0025  Wood Duck
2000  Ruddy Duck
0001  Bald Eagle, juvenile
0008  Ring-necked Pheasant
0066  Greater Yellowlegs
0264  Lesser Yellowlegs
0001  BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, at the Tamalco Boat Access
0150  Pectoral Sandpiper
0012  DUNLIN, in a variety of plumages, at parking lot # 3
0002  DOWITCHER, sp., at parking lot # 3
0500  Bonaparte's Gull, in a variety of plumages, including full hooded
0002  Eurasian Collared-Dove, in the city of Carlyle
0001  Monk Parakeet, in Carlyle, doing nest maintenance with twig
0012  Purple Martin
0050  Tree Swallow
0002  Northern Rough-winged Swallow
0002  Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
0005  American Pipit
0006  Eastern Towhee
0005  Chipping Sparrow
0002  Field Sparrow
0002  Savannah Sparrow
0015  Song Sparrow
0004  White-throated Sparrow
0015  Dark-eyed Junco

On the drive home we saw 150 GREAT EGRETS, near Collinsville Rd. and I-55 in
St. Clair County, Illinois.

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, MO