From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Harold D Anderson
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2003 5:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Coopers Hawk Vs Northern Flicker

We had a similar experience. Arrived home on Thursday to find a
Sharp-shinned/Cooper's hawk (we thought Sharp-shinned because of smaller
size) that was sitting about 20-30 ft to the West of our driveway. It
stayed sitting, so we stopped the car to get a good look.
  We also saw that it had a bird pinned under it's foot that was
obviously
still alive. After studying the situation a short time, I couldn't stand
it (yes I know: laws of nature), got out of the car and walked toward
the
birds.
  The hawk took off with difficulty, dragging the bird, that flared open
both wings and tail, obviously resisting with all its might, showing
gold
in wing and tail feathers, which id'd it as a flicker.
  At this point the flicker escaped and flew off. The
sharp-shinned/Cooper's flew behind the house. I followed and found it
back
on the pond dam, already having captured another bird. I barely got my
binoculars on it, when off it went with it's meal.
  We live in Northeast Columbia with a lot of development before you get
out of Columbia.
Kathleen Anderson, Columbia, Boone County