Terry Miller wrote:

We saw some unusual behavior, at least for us, by two drake baldpates.  They
were up in a pasture grazing with Canada geese.

It is quite usual for American Wigeon to graze. On Long Island, New York,
where I used to live and bird, the best way to see a Eurasian Wigeon was to
scan through a flock of grazing Baldpates on the grass beside Hook Pond in
Easthampton.  What seems unusual to me is that we see them graze so seldom
in this part of the country. They  go through here pretty rapidly in
migration, and we usually see them during the resting phase of their day.
(Ducks and geese in flocks on the water are usually just resting in a
location where land predators cannot reach them). The birds on the east
coast were wintering.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri