In a message dated 4/10/03 4:27:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

have seen a room, a city, a country so frenzied and intoxicated that it
becomes a homogeneous mass, and all individuality is extinguished. In one
great surge of unanimity, every previously distinct impulse merges into a
single mass impulse, and hundreds, thousands, or millions are held captive
as they express themselves first with heroic, selfless devotion, in tears
and touching declarations, but then in madness and lust for war. My instinct
as an artist has always warned me against this human capacity
to become drunk on collective suffering, collective pride, collective
hatred, or collective honor... Indeed, it makes me shudder, for while others
weep with rapture and enthusiasm, cheering and venting and crying out about
brotherhood, I see blood flowing and cities going up in flames.
-     Herman Hesse

O Canada
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The truth north strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.