In a message dated 4/7/03 8:47:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

When Eliot published his mum's book/play on
Savonarola, I believe he did give some cornsideration
to most of them folk.

What am I trying to get across is that when one thinks "Medieval," one thinks in the way Dante and the Pearl Poet thought -- an immediacy with God in everything.  I realize that there are _countless_ other Medieval opinions.  When the Romans thought of themselves during the Pax Romana they thought of their beloved Princeps, Augustus.  It's the same idea.  To use an idea more instantly devourable, when someone thinks of the Greeks they think of these fair, right minded people, a view that existed for perhaps 2 centuries at a very long, very forgiving stretch.  I'm not sure what will be the main theme of the Industrial Age except perhaps an immediacy with possessing everything.
The point is that every Era has a main idea.  There are of course other ideas which stem from that time.  The fact of this, however, is pointless to the idea I was trying to get across when I stated that Eliot, in Prufrock, uses the fear of sex as a fear of action and a fear of joining with the Divine.

Michael

p.s. I assume everyone on the list has a cursory knowledge of Medieval Literature -- I do not, however, assume that everyone on the list has more than that; it's quite rude to do so.