This is interesting; some of them seem liklier to me than others, but that probably isn't much of a guide to their accurary.

I'm reminded of a hilarious essay by Woody Allen -- I think it was in Without Feathers, but I'm not sure -- in which he offers a series of explanations for the origins of words and phrases that are presented straight, and have a certain plausible ring, but somehow emerge as absurdly funny.  Wish I had a couple of examples, but none come to mind.  Anyone recall the bit I'm talking about, or where it appears?

Tom K