From: Nancy Gish

> the list is in fact about studying writing.
>
> I won't get into whether this is an oral medium, but if it is, it's a
pretty
> pathetic one since it is atonal, lacks body language, and has no pitch.

Geoffrey Hill has written about Eliot's poetry in terms of tone (which he
sees as dominating the Quartets) and pitch (which he discerns in
'Prufrock'). The contrast is between two different ways of addressing an
implied reader ('you and I', again); it definitely presupposes that the
poetry is somehow 'heard'.

From Carrol Cox

> P.S. In one of his books Donald Davie objects to the "bad grammar" of the
> second "nor" in

>        I was neither at the hot gates
>       Nor fought in the warm rain
>        Nor knee deep in the salt marsh....

Is Davie saying that two 'nors' are ungrammatical, or does he find it
strange that the first 'nor' introduces a verb while second 'nor' is only
followed by an adverbial clause?

Yours,

RaphaŽl