As I am one of your frequent critics, I hope you won't think I'm being presumptuous if I say I think this is a very good post.  In any case, I've excerpted the part below because I find your two observations a little at odds: the Algerians did not get their own country by developing an economy, but through a very ruthless and successful campaign of terrorism on which the PLO is consciously modeled.

Tom K

If anything, it may be compared to how the Algerian French people felt.  If they want their own damn country so much, why don't they stop planning