 I don't pretend to be able to get inside the Medieval mind from today's vantage point, and don't care to dispute that Dante used sex "as a literary device to describe the immediate nature of the divine."  It's the little word "only" that I take issue with.  People are people, and Europe managed to repopulate itself after the Black Death: something it would be hard pressed to do today from all appearances.

Tom K