Well, it seems to me if it's about a fear of "generative action", then sex is more than just a literary device.  I understand that you may mean "generative action" in a sense that is far broader than physical generation but, given our biological imperatives, I don't think there's anyway to define it as a category without including sex as a major component.

Tom K